Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Diabetes and mental health

Hello @Shaz51 here is my diabetic pancake recipe

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup almond flour (low carb)

* 1 teaspoon baking powder

* 1 capful vanilla essence 

* 1 tablespoon monkfruit sugar (diabetic friendly sugar)

*  Enough almond milk or water to make a paste

* 1 egg (I'm now looking into using linseed meal instead of an egg as a binder as I have thyroid issues)

* 1 tablespoon coconut oil

METHOD

I just put everything into a large pyrex glass jug and mix until there are no lumps and let it stand for several minutes.

Just pour the required amount into a frypan and flip them when each side is done

I pour over Lankanto brand maple flavoured syrup which won't spike sugar levels in diabetics. You can buy from any supermarket or Amazon. Its vegan and gluten free so no animal byproducts like glycerine from animals

Can serve with frozen raspberries or blueberries with nuts if you like that option for added crunch

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 3.13.13 pm.png

Re: Diabetes and mental health

EGG-FREE, DAIRY FREE FRITTATA

@Shaz51 @Dimity @PinkFlamingo @Jacques @tyme 

I just love this recipe, it tastes light and wholesome compared to traditional egg and dairy versions. Its also fat free and the aroma wafting around the house while its cooking is divine. I much prefer it to a standard frittata recipe you normally cook with eggs!

I use McKenzies chick pea flour which is gluten free and acts as a good binding agent when combined with water. I will also use up old lemons and freeze them in ice trays to later dissolve in water & quickly pop in this recipe. I use zucchini, carrot and onions in this recipe but you can substitute for cauliflower or even mushrooms. I use up whatever is left in my crisper at the end of the week so no food waste!

I just cook in a lightly sprayed lamington tin but this recipe recommends a muffin tray. I allow it to cool, and slice while its in the pan then turn out onto a drying rack. It just makes it easier to get it out of the pan I've found. Its great for an on the go healthy treat if you have diabetes or can be combined with salad for a light lunch.

Once cooled I put them in a large plastic Sistema storage container which I bought from Amazon and leave it on the kitchen bench. They last up to a week at room temperature

YUM!

MINI FRITATTAS RECIPE

Ingredients:

*  2 cups chickpea flour

*  1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder

*  2 tsps onion powder

*  1 tsp garlic powder

*  1 tsp paprika

*  ¼ to ½ tsp red pepper flakes or cayenne

*  1 tsp dried basil or oregano

*  1 ¾ cups water

*  ½ tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

*  ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper

*  ½ cup finely chopped red or yellow onion

*  ½ cup finely chopped zucchini

*  ⅓ cup finely chopped carrot

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 180°C.

In a large bowl, combine the chickpea flour, baking powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, and dried basil or oregano. Mix well.

Whisk in the water and lemon juice. Add the bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and carrot, stirring to combine.

Using a ¼-cup measuring cup, scoop the batter into a nonstick muffin pan, filling all 12 cups.

Place the frittatas in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the frittatas comes out clean. Remove the frittatas from the oven and cool in the muffin pan for at least 10 minutes.

Remove the frittatas from the pan and place on a cooling rack until cool enough to eat.

Serve immediately or keep in an airtight container at room temperature until needed.

Makes 12

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance