Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Diabetes and mental health

Oh gosh @Shaz51 , that's a big step. How are you feeling about it? 

Hey @Shaz51 I saw your other post and this one. I'm really sorry to hear you are back at the doctors again and now they have you on insulin injections. I had a blood sugar spike up to a 9 earlier on this week after eating a gluten free flour which of course had rice in it. Had to go off walking that afternoon at a brisk pace and drink some jiaogulan tea and eat goji berries to lower my blood sugar.  Felt rotten. Youre obviously being vigilant and your GP is taking proactive steps. I hope you are doing ok and not feeling too discouraged over it. Yes its hard living with diabetes. We have to be mindful of what we eat, the stress we are under and changes in heat and cold weather. I hope you are doing a bit better today and feel like you have more levels of support from your GP and friends and family. This is a good thread too. You may have to get the food Mr. Shaz eats out of the house to avoid social nibbles that impact your blood sugar.  

Thank you @NatureLover , @SmilingGecko 

@SmilingGecko what you said is very true 👍 

I will need to walk more and get Mr shaz's nibbles out of site 

Was doing OK but the sugar levels kept going up for some reason 

Hey love, @Shaz51 yes get onto it. I cook Weight Watchers treats now. Tastes better than healthy store bought treats. Don't know why I did not hop onto it sooner.

You may have to watch it with bikkies and just be strict with yourself. I know the temptation is there, its hard when someone in your household doesn't share your diagnosis but somehow you have to do willpower.

Have heard that inhaling juniper berry essential oil from the bottle curbs appetite. This is going to really test you Shaz51 but I reckon you got it in you. You have done your cleaning jobs I think you used to do as employment which is hard work.

Please don't cave in now. You have my care, support and encouragement. 

Thank you @SmilingGecko for your encouragement my friend ❤️ 

It is a lot harder with other people in the house 

Yes I know @Shaz51 its a difficult predicament to be in. Just made some sweet potato bites and apricot slices this afternoon. I can't see myself wanting commercial food anymore. The food tastes better and won't spike blood sugar. Going to make some choc peanut blissballs tomorrow! 🙂 

@SmilingGecko , @NatureLover , @Dimity , @Jacques , @StuF 

Had a chicken and salad plate for lunch 😋 

ryzodeg 70/30 @Jacques 

you are on the same one as mum @Shaz51 it is a really good medication, mum takes 20 units.

Hello @Shaz51 wanted to share a yummy treats recipe that I think you and Mr. Shaz may like thats healthy for diabetes. Thought you could both do with some options. I got it off the Weight Watchers website on their diabetes tab section. Its so deceptively simple to make but really yummy!!!  I prefer it to biscuits or any other junk food. Its great if you want something sweet to eat. I am baking some now. I look forward to this treat every week!

You just roast sliced sweet potato. Cool then mash. Add parmesan cheese (I use a plant based cheese) plus mixed herbs and form into patties. You then coat the patties in "Panko" style breadcrumbs which are delightfully tasty and crunchy. I use Orgran brand premium crispi breadcrumbs Panko style which are gluten free, dairy free, egg free and vegan) You then roast for another 10-15 minutes, cool and keep chilled in the fridge. It will set and become firm in the fridge and is just so refreshing to eat!

Sweet Potato Bites

Ingredients

Orange sweet potato (kumara)

400 g, peeled, diced

Dried herbs

1 tbs, dried

Grated parmesan cheese

½ cup(s), (40g)

Panko breadcrumbs

½ cup(s), (30g)

Oil spray

1 x 3 second spray(s)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place sweet potato on prepared tray and lightly spray with oil. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly, transfer to a large bowl and mash.
  2. Add herbs and parmesan to mash and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into 18 balls.
  3. Increase oven temperature to 200℃. Place panko on a plate. Roll each ball in panko to evenly coat. Transfer to a baking paper-lined tray, and bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden.

Sweet potato bitesSweet potato bites

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance