Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Does anyone else feel like this?

Does anyone else feel like this? Do you think/feel like/believe you are a bad person? I don't know why but I think I'm a bad person all the time. By "bad person" I mean not good enough, undeserving or unworthy.

I'm sick of thinking I'm a bad person all the time. It's the main thing that stops me from enjoying life. I wonder is it because of my depression? Does having depression make you think you're a bad person?

I would just like to live my life and not think/feel like I'm a bad person. 

Does this make sense to anyone?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Does anyone else feel like this?

Hello @Arizona 

Yes I can relate to this. I believe it stems from childhood. Not feeling loved, good enough, protected. 

I'm sorry you feel this way. Do you have therapy? I believe therapy might help you get to the cause of why you feel like this to enable you to turn the feelings around 🤞💕

Hi @Arizona

you might like to have a read of this thread: https://saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-ourselves/How-to-cultivate-self-worth/td-p/1053704 about cultivating self-worth.

I'm not good enough was the running theme in my thoughts and self talk. It spiralled downward from there.

my doctors, medication and meditation have helped.  It's a work in progress.  
so no. You are not alone

Hi @Arizona .Smiley Happy

Big question.Smiley Frustrated The short answer is: yes, I've often wondered if I'm more bad guy then good guy. Despite all my efforts to make the world a better place, it seemed like I always ended up ultimately creating more misery and discomfort in the world then happiness.

Now it seems all I am capable of doing is projecting pesimism and negativity out into the world; ostensibly for the purposes of provoking some ultimately good response. But it usually feels like I'm doing wrong things for the right reasons. Motives aside, doing the wrong thing is still doing the wrong thing.

I just don't understand the world well enough to be able to play it in such a way as to generate genuine delight. I don't know what people want, and because of that, I provoke only dissatisfaction. And as the years go by, I only get more and more confused. I think I've given up trying to figure it out.

Frankly, the more and more I've examined the society around me (trying to figure out how to engage with it), the more and more I've come to lose respect for it. It leads you to some pretty dark thoughts about what society - and the people who make it up - deserve. And when you start having those sorts of attitudes about people... yes, it does make you very, very concerned that you are a bad person. Plenty of other universally acknowledged "bad people" have been found to harbor similar thoughts.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance