Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Arizona
Senior Contributor

I made some important decisions today

I made some important decisions today. It's a long story but I have been doing a lot of thinking. Here are my decisions...

1. I don't want to be a Catholic.

2. I don't believe in God, Jesus or the bible.

3. I don't support religion.

I'm a bit scared (to find out what life will be like without God) but I feel free; I feel like I'm taking control of my life.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I made some important decisions today

Just talking from a mental health perspective, some people find religion beneficial because it provides them with community connections and a support network.

Then again, some people find religion negative for their mental health as organised religions can be coercive and manipulating.

We all have to make our own choices in that regard. 

@Arizona Good for you for making some important decisions for you. You have to be happy and comfortable with the way you live your life. All the best on your journey! xx

BB 🐰💙

@Arizona wrote:

I made some important decisions today. It's a long story but I have been doing a lot of thinking. Here are my decisions...

1. I don't want to be a Catholic.

2. I don't believe in God, Jesus or the bible.

3. I don't support religion.

I'm a bit scared (to find out what life will be like without God) but I feel free; I feel like I'm taking control of my life.

Good for you that you have made that decision. I am constantly on the verge of declaring my emancipation, but then I clutch onto the safety and warm blanket of belief. I wish you all the best for the future. 

Congratulations! 😄

I quite liked the book "The Atheist's Way: Living Well Without Gods" and "the little book of atheist spirituality" when I went through a spiritual crisis some years ago. ( https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3545778-the-atheist-s-way https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2082009.The_Little_Book_of_Atheist_Spirituality) You don't have to be an atheist specifically to read them, but they could help you adjust to life without God.

I have found that simply believing that the philosophy taught by a carpenter from Nazareth is a good model, whether or not you think he was divine. Its difficult to find Christians who practice Christianity these days.

Hi, thanks very much for your kind, supportive replies 🙋‍♀️

@Former-Member I know what you mean! 

@Gwynn Thanks very much for your recommendations. I will check them out.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance