Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Arizona
Senior Contributor

My day

Last night, when I went to bed, I put in ear plugs and turned on the white noise machine. I don't normally do this but I wanted to sleep without being woken up by my neighbours. The area where I live has become built up and noisy over the years. The ear plug/white noise machine combination worked, and I enjoyed the peace and quiet so much that I decided to wear the ear plugs all day. It made me realise how much the noise of the day affects me and even triggers my anxiety. 

At the moment I have some trauma sensations in my body, and a small amount of anxiety, but my head feels clear. I'm in bed drinking a cup of vanilla chai and my Pug is under the doona with me. 

Last night I watched the Sophie Toscan du Plantier documentary on Netflix. I enjoyed it and I thought it was very well made. I especially liked the townspeople (of Schull, West Cork, Ireland). I liked the artistic/bohemian aspect of the town and the fact that it is by the sea and so desolate and beautiful. It made me want to live there despite someone being murdered there.  

I just ordered myself another Frida Kahlo book. The last one I bought is an in-depth biography. This one is a coffee table book with larger pictures.

I will get up soon and have something to eat. I don't feel like going shopping tonight, so again I'll have to make do with what I have in the house.

8 REPLIES 8
frog
Community Elder

Re: My day

Hi @Arizona 

decent sleep, tea, pug, book ... all wonderful

Hi @Arizona ,

Sounds like I should learn from your self-care!

Good on you!

BPDSurvivor

@Arizona I read Fridas biography when I was living next door to an artist. I think it was written by Heydon Careera.  We used to love the way she lived.  I ended up seeing two Frida Kahlo movies - an arthouse movie and another one at an independent theatre.  Have you seen any Kahlo movies?  They are well worth watching

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Hi @SmilingGecko 

I'm about to watch the 2002 Frida film now. The only other films I have seen are documentaries on YouTube. I will keep my eye out for the other movie.

Yes, that's the biography I'm reading - by Hayden Herrera (sorry, I don't mean to correct you!).

Hey @Arizona 

I hope you enjoy the movies!  I think if you've read the biography first you get more out of them. One movie I watched was deliberately out of sequential order so it made it hard for viewers to understand unless you read the book first otherwise it doesn't hold as much appeal.

Have you heard of Vali Myers? She was a Melbourne born bohemian artist and many famous people bought her work as part of their private collections.  She had a wild and shocking appearance but was a soulful and caring person.  I love her art.

A documentary film was made about her called "Tight rope Walker" I have watched it and she was as delightful as Frida Kahlo. I loooved that documentary!!! Try and get it. I still have a DVD copy.

I did come across a friend of hers online who was handling her affairs after she died. She had a collection of Vali's writings and pictures that were put into a book like random diary entries. I have never read it but I did see Tight rope Walker.

Here is a picture of Vali Myers:

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 8.31.38 am.png

Moved:

This comment has been moved by a moderator to another part of the forum where it might be more easily found by the community.

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Hi @tropicalsun 

Where has the post been moved to? When I click on the link I get a message saying "Access Denied".

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Hi @SmilingGecko 

I haven't heard of Vali Myers. Before I saw her photo I thought you were talking about another eccentric artist who lives in Melbourne (I can't remember her name). Thanks for telling me about her though.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance