Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Rewriting your Story?

How do you go about rewriting your personal story?  I'd like to be kinder to myself but also have a story that tells about my strengths rather than the constant 'I grew up disabled' story that I tell myself. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Rewriting your Story?

Personally @Gwynn I don't think it is about rewriting your personal story but more rephrasing how you see yourself now and carrying that into the future. Part of that is recognising your history, where you have come from, what you have endured/been through and also the strength that you have had over that time to get to the here and now. We cannot change our past but we can indeed be the architect of our future - this does take work but the first step is wanting to ...and your initial question here indicates to me that you want to Smiley Very Happy There is also a lot to be said about not focussing on any disabilities we have but on our actual abilities - reframing our mindset as to what we CAN do not what we can't do can be a beginning to changing that mindset. ...but also do not dismiss your 'growing up disabled' either - that takes skills, knowledge and resilience that many do not have - so focus on that as a learning experience because you have done something many of us have never had to face ...and that in itself is amazing.

Re: Rewriting your Story?

Hi @Gwynn,

This is a big step you have taken here to recognise that there might be other lenses to see your story and experience through Heart It can be a powerful moment to think about what other ways your story could be told, and I would love to hear how you progress with this. 

You've mentioned that you want to rewrite your story that focusses on self compassion and your strengths. Would you be comfortable to share more with us about what some of the strengths are that you see in yourself?

One that I can see in this post is courage Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance