Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Today we dug up a salvia "hot lips" , it had layered itself so we divided it up into 7 plants and made a row of them in the section of garden Mr Darcy cleared. We finished off with a layer of mulch.

Love getting "bonus plants" @Former-Member. 🙂

No planting done today due to sorting out happening instead, but I did get an egg from our chooks, and picked some celery, parsley, silverbeet and a couple of sweet chilli capsicums to go into dinner.

My gardening effort for today includes moving on a large swarm or wasps.

20190416_084903.jpg

Sitting having morning coffee with Darling and saw this above our heads.  

Not Euro Wasps I hope @Determined?

Paper wasps I think @Smc 

Mmmm... move them carefully @Determined. My sister copped a couple of stings from some that had made themselves at home at our parent's place. Hurt for ages. 😞

And we found out that offspring return to their nesting site the next year to rebuild. We had to use surface spray to stop them. Not my preferred option; with a Field Nats Dad, I don't like killing them, but they were nesting right near the front door. Too dangerous.

These wasps won't be coming back @Smc 

In the past I have tried a hose and to move wasps on I got attacked both times so this time I used spray and added a little flame to the equation. 

Not the most responsible method but it was effective and exciting for the children. 

Yep... pity it's so hard to simply persuade them to go elsewhere.

I've planted some more garlic today. Most of the earlier plantings are up. All being well, I should get a decent crop back. Last year I put them in too late.

I'm still getting a trickle of tomatoes too, what with this crazy warm weather. Both Victoria and South Aus have had bushfires at "Emergency Warning" level today. Not usually a problem by mid-autumn.

Are you sure you didn't see a warning for Qld too @Smc ? Particularly in the vicinity of @Determined's residence.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance