Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Rex1
New Contributor

Brother with Schizophrenia

Hi all, 

I have a younger brother (24) who has schizophrenia. It all started when he was 19 and and hospitalised and then it was a bumpy road but he eventually stablised and had periods of a social life and working. Unfortunately in 2022, he went back to smoking weed and moved into an unhealthy household which has resulted in psychosis and two hospitalisations in Nov & Dec 2023. It hurts more than I could imagine to see him this way. It hurts more than anything wondering if he will be okay. Constantly sitting and assessing to see if he needs to get back to hospital and always wondering if he’ll get better or not. It hurts like hell to watch my mother so distraught. I am in pain and grief all day, every day. Will it ever get better? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Brother with Schizophrenia

Hey, @Rex1 thanks for sharing your story. It seems like your brother received medical professional help in the past and they were able to support him during this challenging period. It sounds like your brother means a lot to you and seeing our loved one going through a difficult time puts us in turmoil. from your post, i can say that you have been a big support for him and your mother. Remember to take care of yourself too!

Re: Brother with Schizophrenia

@Rex1 It is a terribly difficult situation to watch.  What helped me was to realise that the degree of pain I felt was actually due to my love. If I did not feel, then I did not care.  Its hard for everyone, and blame is never helpful, though different life styles do matter.  Wishing your family the best in dealing with it, and I hope your brother finds a path to recovery.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance