Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

NIC38
New Contributor

DID and pain patient partner

Hi all,

My partner of 7 years has DID (has diagnosed himself) and was previously diagnosed with PTSD, BPD, autism and is also a pain patient due to an accident he had a number of years ago. He's obsessed with reading about psychology and philosophy. Is extremely intelligent, in some cases over functioning and in some under-functioning. Due to past medical negligence and lack of trust towards doctors and viewpoint that he's more up to date with science and medicine and other estate reasons he doesn't think he should be making certain decisions on his own behalf and often tries to outsmart psychologists. He's a very competent human being but at the same time needs a lot of help. I feel like I've done numerous things to support him mentally and administrively but these things are beyond me and I don't know how to approach it anymore. With his different pain patient moods and viewpoints I and we are struggling. I have made it very clear what I can help him with, and to some extent he understands but then a bigger part of him doesn't and becomes resentful which then makes me resent him that he thinks these are my responsibilities. 

If anyone has some suggestions how to deal with these mental health issues please share. Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

Re: DID and pain patient partner

Hey @NIC38,

Thank you for your post and for joining the Forums!

It sounds like you are going through a tough time with your partner their mental health. It takes real courage to be vulnerable with others and reach out for support. You are demonstrating your strength and resilience but sharing your experiences with the community of peers here on the Forums.

MH can be complex and getting a diagnosis is important for some people and it sounds like it is for your partner. It's always best to be guided by a psychologist or psychiatrist when receiving a diagnosis as there are overlapping symptoms and many things to take into consideration. However, people do use Google to diagnose themselves and I encourage people to do research about their symptoms or if they have received a diagnosis. 

There is a good YouTube resource that I will share with you that you may like to look at to learn more about DID. You can also pass it onto your partner to help them understand their symptoms if you think he will benefit from it. DissociaDID - YouTube. Also here is a webpage that describes DID well: Dissociative Identity Disorder: Symptoms and Treatment (healthline.com).

Thank you again for reaching out to the community here and please stay connect with your peers!

Take care

RiverSeal 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance