Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

The-red-centaur
Senior Contributor

Dentists

I went to the dentist today. 

Treatment is going to cost at least $4,500

Who has that kind of money. 

And that's not even including the anaesthesia or sedation I'll require. 

Or the needed dentures afterwards. 

Fck 

I cant deal with this

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Dentists

Hey there @The-red-centaur 💜

Far out.. that is incredibly expensive..Im sorry to hear that.

I can understand how it would be feeling completely out of reach and so disheartening to find out these kinds of numbers 😔

Teeth are crucial to health, if we cant chew we cant eat. It's an all-encompassing serious health issue when a person needs dental work. I hope there is a way to get help 💜

That is pretty bad @The-red-centaur I'm sorry to hear this.  I'm worried about dental costs too.

I have extras insurance which covers dental and something called a "dental plan" through https://smile.com.au which covers like 15-75% off your bill and there is no wait or exclusions.

Dental plans are not insurance they just offers a concession amount on the dental service

You can sign up and enjoy savings instantly.

You can also combine your extras insurance with smile.com.au for double the savings.

Please look up smile.com.au.  There are lots of participating dentists that use it.  

Read the reviews - you will be surprised at how much everyone is saving.

I hope this is relevant to you. I thought I would suggest it.

I think I wrote more about on the Budgeting Page thread some time ago 

Hello @The-red-centaur me again. Here is my original post on Dental Plans. I thought I'd copy and past it from The Budgeting Page to make it easier for you.

THIS IS GOING TO MAKE YOU SMILE: DENTAL PLANS NOW IN AUSTRALIA

@Oaktree @TAB @StuF @Glisten @Shaz51 @Dimity @saturnzoon @tonys 

I am investigating dental plans. Suze Orman a financial advisor who used to appear on Oprah when she was on TV recently saved $800 on a root canal by having what is called a "dental plan" in her country of residence

Did some quick research - HOORAH! They have dental plans in Australia! Am investigating it some more but they have to be participating dentists that are enrolled in these dental plans.

She pays an annual fee of around $180 to be enrolled don't know how much the outlay is here.  Its not anything like insurance however 

Rather, dentists who accept the plan, agree to charge a discounted rate for care.

According to Suze, "patients with a dental savings plan get that discounted rate, without any deductible and no waiting period. Because this is not insurance there are no claims to file or claim denials to fight."

You pay the reduced bill at the time of service.

I have dental insurance, but I'm going to check out a dental savings plan as most dental insurance coverage is very limited. Your annual coverage may be limited to just $1,000 or $1,500 or so. Which is not going to be enough if you need some serious work.

Her advice is to carefully review the specific coverage limits and deductibles on your existing dental insurance.

She said she thinks many of us will be surprised at how limited it is. That’s where enrolling in a dental savings plan can make so much sense she said.

If you have a dentist you love, check in with the office to see if they have a particular dental plan(s) they accept if you are worried about increasing dental costs 

Oh no, @The-red-centaur ! That sucks! 😣

@SmilingGecko , just letting you know, not everyone can afford insurance. 

For instance, I have never been able to afford health insurance or home-and-contents insurance (and I'm 52 now and still can't afford either). Both of those are actually a luxury. 

I can't afford health insurance either @NatureLover I'm pretty much stuck in the public system

But just do Extras insurance which is like $37/month and the Dental plan is $70 a year.

I have been shocked at how much my house insurance has gone up

I have read in The Age about people not going for regular dental check ups 

I thought maybe Extras and Dental Plan may save Red Centaur quite a sum of money.  Check out this table ❤️ 

Theres no waiting time to sign up to a Dental Plan. 

I checked out participating dentists where I live and they are all over Melbourne so I presume they are Australia-wide

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 1.17.12 am.png

@SmilingGecko I am under a government plan, I have highest cover with that, but it only covers 75% of the initial the inital 2000. That still leaves me over 3000. 

I can't afford extras. And I can't afford dental cover. I could barely afford the 50 that the initial assessment appointment was subsided at. 

I have put off dentistry for a long time due to cost and anxiety and now I need major work. 🙃 

I'm really sorry to hear this @The-red-centaur I understand how you feel about it.  It is a real smack in the face.

Have you ever tried crowdfunding like Go Fund Me?  I have known of numerous cases of people I have known via the internet who had thyroid surgery paid for and purchasing of a new car and payment of veterinary bills.

It may be an option. You put up an ad on Go Fund Me to solicit money and people will donate to pay for your bills.

You don't have to pay any of the money back. I reckon you could get your dental bill paid for. It seems to work for people I have known!

https://www.gofundme.com 

I was a dental assistant for 20 years and I couldn't work in it any more watching how the culture changed from helping people to upselling and getting the most out of people. 

All I can say is, if you can afford it, get another estimate. 

In Queensland if you have a healthcare card or pension card you can see the hospital dentist at no cost. 

There isn't much assistance financially when it comes to dental services and it is such a shame.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance