Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

Do silly things like songs trigger you?

The title says it all really. 

There are two James Blunt songs which trigger me deeply as they remind me of someone who lives in another country who I had an internet affair with and fell in love with. I was all prepared to leave Australia to go live with them. Then, just like that, they said they didn't want contact anymore and blocked me on Facebook. I was understandably heartbroken. 

Eleven years later, I am wiser to these kind of people on the internet, but those songs, they bring back all the hurt and shame associated with the end of that relationship. To make matters worse, this person was a psychiatric nurse who promised me the world, now I don't trust Psych nurses at all, no matter who they are. 

Do other contributors find themselves in a stupid state of mind over something as silly as a song?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Do silly things like songs trigger you?

Not silly at all @Queenie. Songs are very emotive for me. Some make me smile but often they make me sad, capable of bringing tears to my eyes.

Last weekend as I was departing a shopping centre I heard one of these trigger songs over the public address system. When I started up my car, the same song was playing. At first I thought we must have had the same radio station on but then realised that the tune was coming from a cd I had loaded and that big shopping centres don't simply turn on the radio. What a co incidence I thought. 

@Queenie - I've only just noticed this thread and want to contribute before heading off because I agree with @soul about it not being silly. And sorry to hear about your experience. That sounds super tough and I can see why reminders of it hurt.

Songs and music are something I find incredibly powerful. At the moment I am been listening to the same song that I have had on repeat almost all day because it's sounding 'right' for today. The flip side of music being so right as to listen to the same song all day, is that it's very easy for a song to be 'wrong' for me at a certain time or place. Having music playing at shops and not being able to know if a song will come on that is going to 'trigger' me, is one of the reasons I struggle sometimes to do grocery shopping. Sometimes I have to take headphones and my own music now to try and control it more at the moment.

Totally not alone on this one Queenie

there are so many song's that I just loose it over, mainly 80's songs because they remind me of better times, here is a wierd one, there is a song called propaganda by jeweled, if your a motor racing fan it use to be the theme song for channel 7 motor racing in the 80's, as a family we used to go to the races to watch brockie and johnson fight it out, better times, now that song brings me unstuck.

Hi @Queenie,

It is not silly that songs trigger you. Songs are SUPPOSED to "trigger" us. That is, song writers work hard to write words and music that stir our emotions. One of the often suggested techniques for dealing with big feelings is to listen to music. This is because music has an emotional impact on us (both positive and negative). So...in answer to your question, yes, lots of songs trigger my big feelings, but that isn't silly...it's a perfectly normal part of being human. Smiley Happy

I can be triggered by seeing the same car model my partner used too drive
I understand what you mean

Hi!

I agree - Songs are done through BIG emotions! Without it songs would never relate to us and artists would never be successful...It is never silly...Thanks for your comment 🙂  

Woah I am glad I am not the only one who gets triggered by things like songs. I guess it is true, songs are meant to trigger and be emotive, be they thumping bass dance tracks designed to get you moving or sorrowful balads.

@Azboxfta I get triggered by things like cars too. Especially when I see a Mazda RX-7 because my first love drove one.

Hello @Queenie, @AshEasy, @Azboxfta, @Phoenix_Rising, @getbetter Heart

I am glad I am not the only one who gets triggered by things like songs. -- There is a few songs that get me going too @Queenie Heart

Here is one that brings me unstuck for some reason, I don't know why, I don't have any attachment to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQalkIeE7s

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance