Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BIancs1977
Casual Contributor

In public trying to get to private

Help I've always been in private hospitals when i have a breakdown. Not saying I'm a rich snob or anything but this place is aweful. I'm treated differently. I've been here three days not one nurse has asked how I'm doing. They don't monitor your well being. I'm with people in here that have been in jail I need a bed asap.
6 REPLIES 6

Re: In public trying to get to private

I am thankful for the private MH system and would never go back to public if I could help it. I pay for top health insurance cover which costs a fair bit, but when I think that my average hospital stay is $16-20K, I am thankful for that too. 

Is there a reason why you can't go private this time? Is there a lack of private beds or are you on an Involuntary Treatment Order (many private hospitals won't take involuntary patients)? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand your situation.

You're right in saying many consumers in the public MH units have criminal histories and there is often violence in the units. Nurses are often over worked as the units are poorly funded, giving little time for optimum patient care. Hence, why I go private.

I came in here on a Friday night the referral wasn't made until Saturday to a Melbourne private hospital. They are waiting on a psychiatrist down there to approve me. The nurses here are not overworked there are not many of us here they just treat us differently to private patients. Not once have I been asked if I'm doing ok. Have I eaten. Am i sleeping. The public system is terrible. I will never come back to public it was an emergency situation that I was in as I live in the country and it was a Friday night

Hello @BIancs1977

How are you doing today, are you still in hospital? Thinking of you it sounds like an extremely tough time in there, has the psychiatrist approved you yet?

Lunar

No still waiting on approval.

Oh no @BIancs1977 that is taking forever! Are they looking after you a bit better at all?

I'm finally in a private hospital so much kindness and support from doctors and nursing staff. I was absolutely traumatised by my experience there let alone having a nervous breakdown. I have made s formal complaint.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance