Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // Building resilience for job seeking // Tues 12 Sep, 7pm AEST

Thank you so much for attending and participating in this evenings chat.

We have had so many wonderful ideas come through.
Just to recap for those of us joining us a little late, some tips we
have to help are:

* keeping a "challenge accepted" problem solving type of focus.
* making a list of your hobbies/ interests vs your skills
* looking at things a little differently to find the skills you have (parenting are skills)
* wearing or taking a lucky item in with you.
* preparing information on the company before the interview
* practising some interview questions using the STAR method.
S-situation
T- task
A-action
R-result

* Studying gives you skills.
Look at the unit guides and course outlines of the subjects you
have completed as quite often the subjects will have a list of key
learning summaries you will have gotten from completing the subject.
These are skills you can apply to your resume.

Thank you so much for attending and joining in this evening.
I do hope you ahve all got something out of this and will practice something
top help you in the future.
I look forward to speaking again on the next topic.

Thank you and good evening all.Smiley Happy

Thanks @OstaraAust

I didn't think of the skills from subjects from the courses I was unable to complete. I think I was so afraid of saying I'd started courses and not completed them which would always lead to the question why I did not complete them. 

Im not sure if intentional but the post on STAR seems to have disappeared. I had bookmarked it as a favourite. 

It's ok the post is back. Thank you. 😊

Hi @OstataAust, so glad I came across your post. I'll be following and trying to stay updated with your wisdom and suggestions. I've spent a lot of time thinking about careers, jobs, earning a living as opposed to being on welfare. The security of a disability pension with my anxieties, highs and lows and random break downs brings fear of being successful in the way of a financial career. I worry that if I find a job and have a good run of over 12 months and then get really unwell again that I'll be off the pension and with no job and struggle financially.
In some ways I have a lot of skills and can undertake certain jobs. On the other hand, there is so many jobs because of my anxiety and not coping with stress that I cannot do. For example, I find working in an office environment hard because of the anxiety of working with people. Some days it's ok and other days I can hardly string a sentence together or remember things.
I have so many business ideas and energy that could bring my local council out of deficit. Business ideas that may be able to produce an income. Artistic ideas that could help the local artists and businesses in my town. Songs and talented children that could change people's lives or inspired them by listening to our music. But my anxiety is so severe that it's difficult to express and communicate them to groups of people (especially in meetings) is hard for me.
I currently work from home as a commission only real estate agent. I'm basically not earning money at the moment but I have learnt so many new skills and have become a better person (to some degree ..... I'm not there for my 4 children as much as I'd like to be). If I can hang in there, I should be able to make an income to live off in 12 months.
I'm going through career dilemmas and am really excited to follow your posts or get help with guidance.
One of my highest priorities is to be off the pension and working. But working doing one of my many passions and without fear of becoming unwell and stuck without an income from a job and being booted off the pension after 12 months and stranded without any money at all.
Also, I only have another 8-10 years with my children before they grow up and leave. When I didn't have the pressure of working I had more time for them. My first son is a talented musician because I gave him the time. The other 3 have missed out on this opportunity. I envisioned us touring and travelling to deliver our music and books. World class material that could help Australian Tourism. My children have dual US citizenships and I know that if I gave my children and myself the time, that we could be living our dream and somehow delivering our Australian product and promoting Australia in the US. Now, I work on the weekends and 7 days. I put all my time into real estate. I've put on so much weight from not doing the things I enjoy, like surfing and cycling with the children and am reassessing if real estate is for me.
I wish I could get a Government or company long term contract for a job, for the same or better money that I'm on now to help make our community, town or country a better place......in the way of creating songs and books to promote Australia would be ideal. Or setting up a local information centre / museum where local artists can display their work.
Any chance you can help me there?
Thank you for getting this far 🙂

It might be worth speaking to a psychologist if your husband has one-- he has not got any help @OstaraAust, @suzanne

i missed this last night as i had a support group on
sorry about that
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance