Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

Thanks @JPJ - that's really interesting. Has anyone else had this kind of experience in terms of what wasn't working?

@Shaz51 - glad you both got home safe. We are going to talk soon about managing this together with your loved one and will look for some insights on that from you soon!

So everyone, feel free to also share what was it that DID help in the end? Meditation sounds like a good one - often breathing or breath work in the moment can help regulate the oxygen going to your brain which can help the heart rate and shallow breathing. Other things people have found?

Re: Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

It was a good 5 years after when I found out @Lauz by which stage his Dx had been changed. Along the way had an interim Dx of GAD , a personality disorder with anxious and avoidant features + more. 

Holding his hands was all I could do that seemed to help. He would almost want to sit on top of me trying to get physically close

Interesting @Former-Member - it can be hard to work through panic attacks vs an anxiety disorder too. Did Mr Darcy tell you anything about the experience of panic attacks? The anxiety can be a lot more chronic - wonder if anyone else here has noticed a difference in seeing anxiety in their loved ones versus a panic attack?

I think it was the breathing instructions on the meditation that was super helpful rather than the actual meditating. A male slow voice telling him how to breathe

Yes @Lauz its very important to get the person to control their breathing. Try counting with them as they breathe in and out. Also try to help them to get into the here and now. Grounding exercises can help with this

So sorry I'm late @Lauz & everyone.

Thanks for your reminder tag.

I haven't had experience in supporting a loved one through a panic attack.

I had several panic attacks myself, today (a few hours ago).

Adge

it is unexpected and scary at the time @Lauz, you are not sure when it will appear

There was a big difference between the panic attacks and the anxiety he now suffers. His panic attacks made him delirious, confused, sweaty, scared. His anxiety gives him migraines, sweats, nausea

That's great that that helped @JPJ! Good to notice that a soothing male voice resonated with him too. 

here are some resources as well for other breathing techniques for anyone else here tonight. 

alternate nostril breathing technique  

controlled breathing techniques

@JPJ you mentioned that something that didn't work when your son was having a panic attack was talking him out of the panic attack - do you find that you can say other things to help or do you stay quiet with him?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance