Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Schizophrenia

Thank u so much will look at these tomorrow off to bed now x

Hi @Belle5 , 

I'm sorry to hear about your daughters diagnosis but this is the beginning of positivity. While schitzophrenia is a difficult and misunderstood condition her diagnosis means access to medication and other treatment. However if she doesn't believe it's real you may need to get a treatment order as often people don't believe they're sick because the delusions they are experiencing are real to them. Part of this means don't argue with the delusions but approach with compassion and a listening ear (they call this reflective listening, for example 'that experience sounds like it would be really scary, what do you think we should do about it). 

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about your current challenges, I don't have any advice that can help in terms of getting immediate help. However I can recommend a great resource for helping you to communicate with your daughter, specifically written for family and cares of people with schizophrenia and anosognosia. It's called "I'm not sick and I don't need help!", written by Dr Amador, Columbia University, and who's brother has schizophrenia. There is a great intro on YouTube, a Ted Talk by the author. Its difficult to get a hard copy in Aus, but the audiobook is available on audible. Its been invaluable to me in helping to maintain a open and trusting relationship with a loved one who doesn't recognise he is unwell, but will listen and be open and responsive to what I have to say. I cant recommend it enough.

All the best.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance