Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Diabetes and mental health

I'm going to give the peanut butter balls from Weight Watchers diabetes snacks recipes a try next week. Was able to source peanut butter powder which is what you need for the recipe plus a tin of chickpeas and choc drops. Easy enough. I thought I could just use peanut butter but yes there is something called peanut butter powder from health shops. We'll see how I go. I'm branching out! lol Have a nice evening everybody ❤️ I hope all your dreams take flight tonight

@Shaz51 @tyme @NatureLover @Glisten @Dimity 

Thanks for the recipe ideas @SmilingGecko . I should make more effort. 

Yes I got a bit stuck but am going to try more things because its so restrictive just eating celery sticks and hummus @Dimity 

Are you diabetic or pre-diabetic? @SmilingGecko 

I don't have diabetes, but I have a terrible diet... I need to eat better so I'm grateful for this thread

I was pre-diabetic for many years @tyme Used to go for pathology lab blood glucose test where they would first give me fasting test then give me a super sweet glucose drink and test blood an hour later. I now just have blood draw specifically for diabetes every 3-4 months, not the glucose drink anymore as its been determined I am diabetic. I got it due to a psychiatric medication. I used to eat organic diet and no junk but will say I had too many carbs with bread and rice and maybe some measure of comfort eating with healthy store bought snacks like protein balls and nut bars which could have been more restricted. I also had honey and maple syrup on things like pancakes which is not advised for diabetics.  

Do your family have diabetes? @SmilingGecko 

I don't eat well at all. I love my slices, cakes and sweets. I don't eat organic, nor any of those healthy ball thingys... I just eat. 

I like bread and noodles. Don't like rice. 

I'll see how I go. Few more years before I hit 40 . I think once I hit 40, my body will tell me.

My parents are deceased and neither of them had diabetes before they died @tyme.  It was due to my medication, so it did not run in the family.  An organic wholefood diet can be good! Anyway got to get going for now. Take care and enjoy your evening! 

You too! Take care. @SmilingGecko 

APRICOT BARS

@Shaz51 @tyme @Dimity @NatureLover @Historylover 

I have tried this beautiful simple healthy treats recipe before with lots of success.  It takes little time to make so you are not slaving in a kitchen.

You just toss the measured ingredients of dried apricots, dried pitted dates, almonds and shredded coconut into a food processor until its all evenly mixed and then press onto a parchment lined tin before allowing it to set in the freezer for 30 minutes. 

The taste is wonderful, its like a store bought Apricot Delight snack minus the sugar and whatever else they bulk it up with.  I would say it tastes better plus its healthier. I spoke to a diabetes educator and ran the recipe by a dietician through NDSS and its diabetic approved so long as you limit your consumption and aren't eating it all the time. 

But the recipe is just delicious and really fails to disappoint. I'm so glad I tried this recipe!!! You wouldn't think something so simple could be so flavoursome

Just a great way to snack without the risk of spiking your blood sugar. I did read somewhere that the shredded coconut can serve to smooth the blood sugars in another similar recipe I saw with dried apricots.

Anyway I hope maybe someone out there may want to try this amazing recipe if they find the diabetic lifestyle a bit restrictive and maybe wanting to eat things they may later regret. This recipe is a keeper in my book. You will absolutely love it.

https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/apricot-bars

Hello @SmilingGecko , @tyme , @Dimity , @NatureLover , @Cricket 

Started on insulin injections for my diabetes yesterday by the doctor 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance